Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Last blast.

50. It's a big number. I'm heading out tomorrow night to race my last ever Wexford league race. You know I'm in my 50th year. No big deal. But doing the maths it seems that I've participated in close to 50 of those races. Now THAT is significant. And I've only won a handful. Jeez Joe, that's not anything to write home about, I hear you say. But hold on a minute. Do you know what it takes? Me neither! At least, I didn't for ages! Let me explain!

To win (or survive) the league you must refuse. You need to refuse to think about anything but the win. That's far from straightforward. Cycling is chess on wheels. You race against clubs and individuals and conditions and your condition. You can be the strongest yet lose every week as you follow the wrong wheels, gamble on the wrong time to launch or stay or even let adrenaline guide you instead of the cold-blooded killer in your heart. You must refuse to race anyone's race but your own.

A good club can bring you to victory by doing all the work and shenanigans for you. This might allow you to ride easy and keep your reserves. Conversely, a club that lacks cohesion will burn energy and leave nothing for you to work off. Both times I won the league, half a dozen years apart, I found myself so well looked after by my club it became easy. On one occasion 8 years ago I was so well minded that I dropped my phone when reaching for a gel, stopped, retrieved it and got back up for the sprint.

But both times there was what the Spanish call a chispa, a spark. Years back I'd gotten such stick and abuse from the local cycling community after switching clubs that I'd trained harder than ever that winter. But I'd a restricted amount of training time. 70% of my sessions were short and sharp. And for the first time ever I'd incorporated serious, painful sprints. I didn't miss a weekly session from November to July. Once I let loose in the finishing straight....

Last year I'd gotten awesomely fit over the winter only to break my elbow at the end of January. The antibiotics killed me. I mean, I was back on the spin bike when I couldn't put my weight on my arm but my head was a ball of white noise. And I came back. I rang my coach Richie on the way home from my first win in the league last Summer and we laughed and nearly cried at our hard work and patience. Spark.

And both times I won the overall, the team were behind me like a strong breeze, making everything easier. The purple and gold jersey has always brought out the best in me.

Yet it was a couple of men I raced with elsewhere that taught me the basic maths. Frank o Rourke taught me that when I worked I should throw everything I had into the pot. And Stephen Kelly taught me (by continuously beating me) that riding smart is hard work with huge rewards.

I'm gonna miss the crazed, greyhound stadium mentality of a one hour race. Pretending not to hurt on either drag. Hiding until launch time, pretending not to be able/interested/motivated. Waiting for the strongest to waste energy or get caught out by an attacking team mate. I love the panic during attacks, those not wanting to work, the weak getting stretched, the strongest doing the damage. Not for the faint hearted.

So tomorrow is it. Years of chasing super fit humans all over the roads. Years of trying to out-think and out-gun all-comers. Years of cheer at the sign on, years of comeradeship and bitter rivalries, poker and defeat, bravado and bullishness contained in an hour.

How does it feel? Different. I've been around for a long time. I'm mentioned in the book of Genesis. Lately I've been hung up on compassion fatigue. I've run into hundreds of bicycle jockeys over time and always tried to be helpful and encouraging. Call it a family trait. Some appreciated it. Some didn't. It turns out that I've been doing this s##t for decades. Investing my time in other people's problems, trying to find solutions or the right words to help my fellow human beings along. Not everyone appreciates this. Isn't it human nature that we have preconceptions about others before we meet them? Or someone's opinion of you colours other's? I'm a give-a-damn kinda fella, I've had my ups and downs and flat-lines. Sure I've said the wrong thing or wouldn't tolerate a few fools to the point where its cost me friends or open doors. But I'm 50. I no longer care. I have some amazing friends in cycling. And I have many's respect. If I've not gotten on the right side of you then who's fault is that exactly? I think I've apologised to anyone that deserved it or you have graciously left me back into your world without a word and I thank you for it.

Compassion fatigue. I've smiled that crooked smile at a multitude. Said something funny to put you at ease. Time for someone else to do the same. Tomorrow I'll head out the road and soak up the atmosphere, take mental pictures all the way. And I'll race until I can't.

Then my friends... it's your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment